Let’s be honest, the CoronaVirus crisis is scary. It came out of nowhere and it has completely changed all our lives. Something we cannot smell, see or touch has wreaked havoc in an unprecedented way world-wide. It is easy to experience fear when facing this unknown circumstance. That fear can lead to anxiety and depression or worsen those things if we were already experiencing them. The question is, how do we keep that fear in check and our mental health stable?
We can look to man’s best friend for an example of what to do when we are afraid. A dog’s master takes on the role of pack leader. Dogs look to their masters/pack leaders for cues as to how to respond to danger. For instance, if furnace repair man comes to the door, a dog alerts its master with a bark or a growl. But the master knew that the repair man is coming and was not alarmed. But the dog is. In fact, he may respond fearfully. He is smelling new smells and sees someone they’ve never seen before. But the dog calms because his master is calm and has told him there is nothing to worry about. The repair man works on the furnace and there are loud noises and more new smells, but the dog remains calm because his owner is calm. The dog can rest during the time the repair man is in the house because he trusts his master and follows his lead.
We of course are not dogs, but we have a God, our master if you will, who loves us. He tells us many times in his word not to fear. Even if we do not know what is going on or what will happen, God knows, and he assures us that all is ok. We can rest in God’s word and his promises because we know he loves us. We can go through this difficult time and keep fear in check and better maintain our mental health because our trust is in God.
Consider a few verses of what God’s word has to say the next time you experience fear:
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalms 56:3
- I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Psalms 34:4
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. Philippians 4:6
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
We pray this helps you. Remember, we are all in this together and God is with us!
© Fresh Hope for Mental Health